Firstly. Every mum needs a slow cooker in their life, right? I love being able to pop something in in the day and it be there ready and waiting for us in the evening. My personal favourite at the moment is Chilli Con Carne, at just around 500kcal per serving including rice you cant really go wrong, especially if like me you are trying to loose that mum-tum still!
500g Lean Beef Mince (Preferably less that 5% fat)
2 sticks of celery
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tin of kidney beans
1 tin of mixed beans in chilli sauce
Salt and Pepper
Dark muscovado sugar
1. Brown the mince off (beef has its own juices so no need for oil)
2. Take the mince out of the pan and set to one side leaving the juices in the pan
3. Fry off a diced onion and diced celery and diced pepper in beef juices
4. When browned sprinkle over some sugar and continue to cook until sugar has gone a bit gloopy
Don’t worry if you don’t have dark muscovado sugar, you can skip this step and save your waistline!!
5. Add the spices to your taste with a bit of salt ( i tend to put a fair bit of paprika and little bits of the rest, obi add more chilli if you like spice!!)
6. Add the Beef and onion mix to the slow cooker
7.Add the tinned tomatoes
8. Add a large squirt of tom puree, stir in and cook for a few mins
9. Add the beans, and the drained tin of kidney beans
10. Turn to a high heat and leave to cook for 4 hours. (Alternatively leave on a low heat for 8 hours!)
All prepared in around 15 minutes, and ready to eat whenever you need it! We like to add some grated cheddar cheese and a squirt of salad cream..don’t know it ’till you’ve tried it!
What are your quick ‘go-to’ recipes?